Ascent Homeschool Enrichment is an academic enrichment program designed to support and enrich a classical home education. We have one program that meets on Wednesdays, and one that meets on Fridays. The two program days are identical and meet at the Lone Tree Hub (8827 Lone Tree Pkwy, Lone Tree 80124) from 8:40-3:00pm. We offer the following grade-level classes:
- 1st/2nd Grade
- 3rd/4th Grade
- 5th/6th Grade
- 7th/8th Grade
Sign up for a virtual info session
Interested families should attend an info session to learn about our program and determine if it may be a good fit for your student. Sign up for an info session on January 17th, February 21st, or March 28th.
Visit us in person
Once you have attended a virtual info session, you are invited to sign up for an in-person tour. We will offer three distinct tours:
- A general K-8 family tour
- A half-day shadow for 7/8th grade students
- A Kindergarten-focused tour
Applications for the 2023-2024 Homeschool Enrichment Program are open. Please CLICK HERE to apply. Be sure to select “Ascent Classical Academy of Douglas County Homeschool Enrichment” within the School Choice section. You may indicate a day preference between Wednesday or Friday, if desired.
Note: The Homeschool Enrichment enrollment timeline differs from that of the full-time school. Please refer back to this page for program specific information. Please reach out to Mrs. Burey with any questions about Homeschool Enrichment enrollment.
The Homeschool Enrichment Program is a program of Ascent Classical Academy of Douglas County, a public charter school offering a classical, liberal arts education to students in grades K-12. The mission, vision, core virtues and curriculum are consistent in both programs. Homeschooled students are invited to join the full-time students in extracurriculars and all-school events. Homeschool enrichment teachers participate in faculty training with full-time teachers, and receive administrative support from Ascent Classical Academy administration.
Ascent Classical Academy Charter Schools are licensed users of the Hillsdale College K-12 curriculum. The Homeschool Enrichment Program is not endorsed by Hillsdale College. While both programs are intended to be compatible, the Homeschool Enrichment curriculum is composed of original content created by its faculty or derived from sources in the public domain.
Students rotate through all six classes taught by different teachers. Kindergarten students will be with one teacher all day except for Music and Art.
- Classical Performance: Students will study, practice, and recite poetry, Shakespeare, fables, and fairy tales. They will participate in dramatizations and short performances based on adaptations of classical literature.
- Music: Music class will give students a love for great music as they learn to listen and appreciate a variety of genres and composers. Students will learn basic music theory, as well as enjoy singing and playing different instruments in class.
- Nature Study: This science class will focus on teaching the skills of observation in the natural world. This course will equip students with important science terms and concepts and teach them to create and keep a nature journal.
- Great Biographies: Students will see history come alive as they learn about remarkable men and women who have changed the course of history. They will read biographies and study the lives of scientists, reformers, early Americans, and other key figures throughout history.
- Art: This class will illustrate important elements of making and appreciating art. Students will have opportunities to use a variety of art mediums as they learn new art techniques. They will study and appreciate important artists and their works of art.
- Literature: Younger students will listen to great stories and participate in supplementary activities that enrich the literature. Older students will read through a selection of classic literature and use class time for discussion and dialogue.
Parents are free to choose their own at-home curriculum for their students. We do provide suggested resources that align well with our school curriculum.
Additionally, we offer free curriculum check-out of the following materials:
History: The Story of the World: Volumes 1-4 (Grades 1-8)
Math: Singapore Dimensions Math (Grades K-8)
Writing: Structure and Style (by IEW) (Grades 3-8)
Reading: Primary Phonics Readers (Grades K-1)
Science: Core Knowledge Science (Grades K-5)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the cost of the program?
A: This is a publicly-funded, tuition-free program. There is a student fee of $75 per student (with a family cap of $225). There are no student supply lists. This fee covers all of your student’s books and supplies.
Q: Is my student required to wear a uniform?
A: Yes. In order to facilitate an atmosphere of learning and respect, students will be required to wear a uniform. Click for more details about boys’ and girls’ uniforms.
Q: Will my student have homework?
A: You should expect weekly at-home work for students in grades 3-8. This work will include poetry memorization, reading for literature and history, and occasional work from other classes to supplement in-class learning. By having students complete a small amount of work at home each week, we are able to use class time for rich discussion, presentations and valuable in-person instruction.
Q: Am I required to volunteer?
A: There will be numerous opportunities for you to be involved in your student’s learning, but there is no formal volunteer requirement.
Q: What are the requirements of the teachers in this program?
A: Teachers are required to have mastery of their academic discipline and have a strong ability to convey information to young people. Teachers are not required to hold a CO teaching license.
Q: What do you mean by classical education?
A: Learn more about how we understand and define classical education HERE. Ascent Homeschool Enrichment provides homeschooled students with a classical academic enrichment program based in the liberal arts and sciences that supports and enriches their home education and cultivates a community of friendship and learning.